Friday, December 14, 2007

...used to laugh and call him names...


There are so many wonderful things about this time of year. I love me some hot chocolate and a fire, shopping for other people brings me joy, I get to burn my favorite candle, Christmas lights, Christmas songs, and of course baked goods. However, there is one thing that only happens this time of year that is so disturbing to me that it warrants me writing a blog about it. Two words: Reindeer Cars. There seems to be an overwhelming growth of people who think it is cute to put antlers sticking out of their windows and a big shiny red nose stuck to the hood of their car. I don't understand this. I'm pretty sure these are the same people that put dresses on their dogs and put their 2 year old daughters in beauty pageants. And maybe it's just here in Texas. I don't know. It's just really frightening to be driving down the street and feel like you are pulling Santa's sleigh because the 5 other cars surrounding you all look like Rudolph and Donner and Prancer and Vixen. And when I walk by these cars in a parking lot I feel like ripping the red nose right off the front of the car (can I be arrested for that?), or at least bending one of the antlers so that it is droopy. That would at least make it funny. The worst part is that EVERY time my kids see one (which is 100 times a day) they feel the need to sing the song. It's driving me crazy!!! It used to be one of my favorite holiday songs and now I can't stand it. Anyway, I feel better having gotten this off my chest. Now I can go back to enjoying the hustle and bustle of the season. Merry Christmas!

13 comments:

S.Miles said...

Probably your funniest blog yet! Hands down! I cant even stand a dangly thing in someones windshield.. who thinks of these things? That really is just another Texas thing. I have NEVER seen that in California. NEVER. Chalk it up to one more reason why you need to come back. Sooner or later you are going to forget what "cool" really means and next thing you know- it's Rudo-car for you too! Nothing like driving your Rudo-car on 214.....

Steve and Janelle said...

I can honestly say that I have never seen anything like that in all my life. That is very disturbing. I always thought the antenna balls were annoying (even though I have to admit to having one for Kamdyns sake), but that just blows the antenna ball out of the water. Thank you for posting yet another weird thing from Texas. Can you buy those at The Walmart?

S.Miles said...

I SAW A RUDO-CAR!!! Today at the mall after I was eating a yummy lunch at Corner Bakery- I started driving away and say an antler sticking out of someones window! I was so startled I drove around to the other aisle to see if there was a "nose." Sure enough, RudoCars exist here too!!

edmundsfam said...

I know what everyone is getting for Christmas....

Anonymous said...

I don't know what's funnier... your blog post or the comments you and your family have made regarding this rediculous thing crazy people do. I've only seen one this year, and that is good enough for me. Even the wreath's on the front of the car bug. But I will give you props for finally posting a PICTURE! Yeah! But so sad it had to be an auto-Rudolf.

redstarmama said...

I am a little saddened that no one does this to their cars up here. Mostly because I feel I have missed an opportunity to make fun of people. Nobody even puts wreaths on their cars here. We do have an overabundance of bumper stickers like "Keep Santa Cruz Weird" and 50 million varieties of "Peace" and "Keep Tahoe Blue". I'd prefer the antlers.

Justin said...

The whole putting stuff on your cars is so disturbing to me that I can't even make a real comment on it. Really. I told Jenn that if she even put a wreath on her car that I would divorce her. I would be dry heaving until June if she did that. I can't stand price tags on clothes when I get them. I literally gag when they touch my hands... you can ask Jenn. Almost as bad as hair for me. I think I just threw up in my mouth thinking about it.

redstarmama said...

Just as a postscript, we actually saw our first reindeer car today. Go figure. No bumper stickers though. Maybe they moved here from Texas.

S.Miles said...

Do you think they come in some type of accesory kit? Or do you have to buy the antlers/nose seperate? Where do you buy this sort of thing? You know what's almost (and I mean...a tiny tiny tiny bit almost) worse than rudo-cars? Grown men wearing Santa hats! Especially the ones with Mickey Ears wih them! Jared and I saw some man today in the car as jolly as could be wearing the Santa hat like it was just another day! That's Simi for ya!

edmundsfam said...

What about the people that are wearing the santa hat while driving the rudo car? It scares me to death. Why, people, why?

Justin said...

No there is nothing worse than Burelli with the santa hat that was red and green and had a baseball cap bill on it. He also wore a solid green shirt with a solid red tie. He wore this outfit to church. That is pretty bad. Shan, the Rudo-car items can only be purchased with droplets of blood at either TJ MAx, Ross, or Walmart. These types of items are their exclusive wares.

Meg said...

One worse...there is a guy and his wife who come into Sizzler every weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas...dressed like Santa and Mrs. Claus. They hand out candy canes to all the kids (but never to the Sizzler employees. Once I asked them for one and they gave me a really weird look). At first it was cute, but now it is just annoying--mainly because he wears a sash made of jingle bells.

I haven't ever seen a rudo car, though.

Ryan said...

I love ebay. It has everything. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-XMAS-RUDOLPH-REINDEER-CAR-COSTUME-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ290199081481QQihZ019QQcategoryZ88433QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem