Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ben wears big shoes

Yesterday Ben came with me to take the girls to cheer practice. He is usually at work during this time so it was a nice treat for him to be there and help me entertain Fletcher. After about 45 minutes Fletcher became bored with all the toys and books I brought for him to play with, and it didn't help that another little boy took his favorite airplane and would not give it back. Needless to say it got ugly and Ben was kind enough to step in. If I had been there by myself I would have just put the boy in the car and drove around until it was time to pick up the girls. But I have no patience and am not a very good mom so it was a good thing Ben was there. He took Fletcher outside to go for a walk. They were gone a short while and when they returned Ben was carrying a bag from the grocery store. I thought to myself "Good thinking Ben. Candy will quiet him down." Isn't that what a normal person would have bought their child to shut them up? Not my husband. He seriously pulled out a bag of long skinny balloons and a pump. I did not know you could even purchase these items at a grocery store, but apparently you can. What happened next amazed me. Ben actually started making balloon animals for Fletcher and his friend. And not crappy balloon animals- good balloon animals! He swears he has never done it before but I'm not so sure about that. He knew all too well exactly how much air to fill in the balloon so that he could get the perfect twist. You should have seen him. It was truly a spectacular spectacle. The best part was that Fletcher figured out that he could use the shards of glass growing out of the tip of his fingers (note to self: clip Fletcher's fingernails) to pop the balloons. He would say "I pop the doggy", and then jam his nail into the balloon. He laughed and laughed. Then Ben would whip up another balloon creature and POP! It was truly a proud moment for me. I don't think I was the only one impressed either. As the girls were let out of cheer one of their friends asked Cali in all seriousness, "Was your dad in a circus?" My husband the clown! Gotta love him.

4 comments:

S.Miles said...

Screw dentistry...I've never heard of a clown having a "slow month" have you? I think he's on to something. Not to mention how great he's going to be at this years Hambly Family Christmas Talent Show! Who'd of thought Steven was going to have some "competition" with the balloon arch making this year for the 5K! We are a talented bunch thats for sure!!!

redstarmama said...

Ben should combine his artistic passion and his medical practice. Don't people get cosmetic dentistry for their kids? Maybe he should become a pedodontist; he would be the hottest act in town.

edmundsfam said...

I'm trying not to encourage this.

Steve and Janelle said...

Wow! Who knew? He is the king of hidden talents.