Thursday, October 11, 2007

Parenting 101

Some days parenting comes easier to me than others. Today I thought my impromptu soccer practice with Macey would be fun. Apparently throwing a ball at her and yelling "kick it harder!" and "be more aggressive!" until she cries may not have been the best use of our 45 minutes of "quality time" together. Let's just say it ended with her telling me "you know mom, you're not a real coach." I thought about this for a bit and eventually had a conversation with Ben about how I need to learn how to have more compassion and to be more sensitive to our kid's feelings. I vowed to work on this and was optimistic about my willingness to change. I have decided that I am just not a very nice person because not more than 2 minutes later I walked upstairs to find Cali on the computer typing something. Now maybe it was just coincidence, or maybe my new found compassion was being put to the test, but when asked what she was doing, this was her response, "I'm writing a song for my band." Are you kidding me?! I think I lack the thing in your brain that stops you from laughing at inappropriate moments because I don't think I could have laughed at a worse moment. I may have single handedly destroyed a little girl's dream of becoming a rock star. Needless to say I have a lot to work on and I am thankful that tomorrow always brings a new day. I have a lot of ice cream to buy tonight.
In case you were curious, here is a copy of Cali's song that will never get recorded. Enjoy!

A Girl's Life
In a girl's life there is nothing better than you
and there's a a lot of new things to do.
You can be yourself
and nobody will think it's you

Chorus
Sometimes it's hard but you'll be ok
just keep on going and you'll lead the way
ha ha haaaaaa
just keep on going and you'll lead the way
aaaaaaaaa

So sometimes you'll be sad or down in the dumps
don't turn yourself into a clown
and don't make a frown
and don't make it sound
like you're turning some one's life upside down

Chorus
Sometimes it's hard but you'll be ok
just keep on going and you'll lead the waaaaaaaaaaaaay
ha
(guitar solo)
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ya!

1 comments:

Steve and Janelle said...

I think she may have something there. Do you think Britney Spears mom laughed at her? Maybe she should have....