Saturday, May 17, 2008

Just the Beginning

At 7:04 pm there was a knock on our door. It wasn't a salesman. And it wasn't the weird little girl that lives next door that watches us from her bedroom window while we swim hoping she can come over and swim too. No. It was worse. It was a boy from Cali's class that lives in our neighborhood. He wanted to know if Cali and Macey could come out and play! Like actually go outside and play. Without me. It was a gorgeous night and there were lots of kids outside playing. But why do mine have to be out there? They are nice and safe in my house- with me. I just wasn't expecting to have to make this kind of decision tonight. A little heads up would have been nice. Then I could have come up with an excuse as to why they need to stay home and play in the backyard. At what age should kids be aloud to play alone outside? I don't have a good answer. I've decided I don't want to be a responsible adult any more. But since I don't have a choice here is what I did. I walked the girls down to where everyone was playing and scoped out the scene. It was only 6 houses down, but it felt like a world away. It appeared to be innocent enough. I hung out for a little bit trying to act cool. Like I fit in or something. And then I took a deep breath and turned to the girls, at which time I threatened to take away all of their Webkinz if they even thought about leaving that area, or talking to a stranger, or going in the street, or going in some one's house. And then I told them that they had 15minutes to play and that I would be back to walk them home. And I walked away without looking back. Actually, I spied on them from the upstairs bedroom. When their 15 minutes was up I went and got them. I think it went pretty well. Maybe next time they can stay for 16 minutes.

5 comments:

Beardall Family said...

You are so funny. I think you and I were riding the bannana seat bike to Mann Theatres at age 10. Following Vince around like puppies too. Maybe this is why you are so paranoid...we were not a good childhood match for innocent playing. I think they will be just fine playing outside in views rang! Cant't WAIT to see you!!

Steve and Janelle said...

I had an anxiety attack just reading this...

redstarmama said...

I need a dose of your caution. We were at the beach yesterday, and Greer and Declan were all over the place, in the water, running around, and I just sat there watching. I did get up once to rescue Greer when the water got too close, but that's it.

Robbie said...

Your poor sheltered children. They just want to grow up. Just relax and let them. You seem to have turned out ok. Right? Have a little faith in your parenting.

Rachel said...

I'm with Elisa. We did some crazy things pretty early on. I am the complete opposite, I am way tooooo relaxed. I make my kids go outside the hour before dinner so I can have peace while I am making it. I should take a dose of your over protectiveness!