Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bright Ideas

Every once in a while I have a good idea. I am constantly looking for ways I can be more efficient and unique- especially when it comes to my kids. I thought I would post a few things I do that I think are good ideas (if I do say so myself), and then hopefully others will join in on the fun and post good ideas that they have come up with.

1. I am so sick of packing sandwiches in my kids' lunches. Recently I packed a container of cereal and a bottle of milk with a spoon. They loved it. It is now a weekly staple.

2. After Fletcher was born laundry became a huge issue for me. I would spend so many hours washing and folding, and then stacking neatly in drawers, only to find that hours later my girls had ripped through everything to find a certain outfit. The solution? Zip lock baggies. I now fold all the laundry and then have my girls come and pick out outfits they want to put together. I include everything that goes with that outfit- socks, belts, underwear, etc. Then I stick each outfit in a zip lock baggie and push all the air out. It's great- compact and organized. No more messy drawers, and packing for a trip takes about 2 minutes. My mom actually came up with this one.

3. When Cali was in kindergarten we started the tradition of bringing candy to school instead of cupcakes for her birthday. Each year my kids get to pick out their 3 favorite candies which I buy in bulk and then tie a ribbon around. This year Cali brought a Hershey bar, bubble tape, and Airheads Extremes- all tied with her favorite colored ribbon. Kids LOVE it! So much better than cupcakes.

That's all I've got for now. If you have any bright ideas,please post! I would love to read them.

4 comments:

redstarmama said...

That laundry idea is BRILLIANT! No more lost hair clips or mountains of laundry! My question is do you re-use the ziplocs or just go for the new ones each time? I need to get on the ball. You are awesome!

edmundsfam said...

I have a flat basket that the girls put their baggies in after they take the clothes out. I can get about 6 uses out of a baggie before I need to use a new one.

Jennifer Knight said...

I've done a version of the ziploc thingy with rubber bands, for my older kids when they go away to camp. They don't know how to match very well, so I put the outfit, underwear, socks all together and rolled it and put a rubber band around it. I imagine with little kids that might not work well. But GREAT idea with the ziplocs! I will be doing that this summer with my soon to be 5 year old!

Rachel said...

3 GREAT ideas. I will definitely copy!